Amputee Rehabilitation Program
Director: Jennifer Kodis
Administrative Assistant: Lucy Caruso
Phone Number: 905-521-2100 ext: 40821
Clinical Manager - Teri Czajka
Clinic Phone #: 905 521 2100 ext. 40964
Level 2, South - Regional Rehabilitation Centre
300 Wellington St. North
Clinical Team: Multidisciplinary rehabilitation including physician, nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, nutrition, recreation, social work, pharmacy and prosthetics and orthotics.
The Amputee Rehabilitation Program is a 10 bed inpatient program located at the Regional Rehabilitation Centre, Level 2 South. Most patients have lower limb amputations but service is also provided for those with upper extremity amputations. Patients with upper extremity amputations are serviced as an outpatient.
Focus of rehabilitation is on:
- achieving ambulation with a prosthesis or improving transfers with a prosthesis
- practicing functional ambulation activities e.g.. stairs, curbs, ramps
- practicing functional activities of daily living e.g. transfers, self-care, reaching, carrying
- identifying and prescribing necessary equipment for discharge
- learning management of life with a prosthesis - includes coping, knowledge of prosthesis, nutrition and good health practices
- learning about leisure activities and community reintegration
- education classes twice/week with ongoing individual education
- length of stay is typically 5-7 weeks
- Assessment in the Amputee Clinic to determine readiness to participate in the program i.e. wound healing, medical stability, physical status
- Sitting tolerance must be 2 hours to participate in therapy
- Independence in standing pivot transfers
- Patient goals include desire and motivation to use a prosthesis
- Discharge destination is identified
- Pending bed availability, some patients may be admitted prior to wound healing to assist with wound management and reconditioning. They are then discharged home to heal and readmitted when ready to fit with a prosthesis
HHS inpatient referrals: A doctor's order is required to request an inpatient consultation. Once the order is processed in Meditech, acute care staff complete the online referral form found at http://rehabwl
Intake Coordinators triage to the appropriate inpatient rehab unit, community clinic or outpatient appointment. The Intake Coordinator can be reached at 905-521-2100 X40806
External Referrals: The referral is initiated by request of the patient's doctor, either from another hospital or in the community.
To download a HHS Inpatient rehabilitation referral form click here
To download a HHS rehabilitation Outpatient referral form click here
Completed referral forms and accompanying information should be faxed to Dr. Sharon Grad @ 905-577-8233.
In addition to the referral form please provide:
Relevant consultation notes and diagnostics related to the referral
Current medication record
Recent lab tests including ARO status
Therapy (PT/OT) notes if available.
Once the information has been received an appointment will be booked in the Amputee Screening Clinic.
Amputee Screening Clinics are held twice weekly at the Outpatient Clinic of Regional Rehabilitation Center. The ideal time for a patient to be seen in clinic is after the post-operative cast has been removed.
At the clinic appointment, information is provided about the rehab program and appropriate pre-rehab treatment recommendations i.e. residual limb bandaging, strengthening, wound care
At the appointment the patient is placed on a waiting list for admission.