Definition: an experiential education opportunity required as part of a health professional course of study.
Please contact our Office of Student Education at 905-521-2100 x46245 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on placements for other disciplines.
Placements are possible in many disciplines including: Audiology, Chaplaincy, Child Life, Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Medical Imaging Technology, Medical Laboratory Science, Perfusion Therapy, Prosthetics & Orthotics, Psychology, Pharmacy, Radiation Therapy, Social Work and Speech-Language Pathology.
HHS provides clinical placements for nursing students in a variety of settings across all of our hospital sites. A strong academic partnership exists with McMaster University and Mohawk College. Placements may be offered to students from other colleges and universities as well.
Process for Nursing Students from McMaster University and Mohawk College
- All placements for these students are coordinated via the academic placement coordinators at McMaster University and Mohawk College.
Process for Nursing Students from Academic Institutions other than McMaster University and Mohawk College
- The Application for Experiential Education at HHS needs to be completed.
- Submit your application to:
Manager, Clinical Practice & Education
Phone: 905-521-2100 x46247
- The placement coordinator at your school may complete the application form on your behalf.
- An affiliation agreement needs to be in place between your school and HHS while you are on placement. An affiliation agreement is a document outlining roles and responsibilities of the academic institution, hospital and student regarding student placements. It can sometimes take several weeks to develop an affiliation agreement.
- The Pre-placement Immunization Form for Learners needs to be completed. This form is to be sent to the Manager, Clinical Practice & Education by fax. If you have already completed immunization forms for your school, you may submit these instead for clearance by our hospital. Please note that you need to provide the following information:
- current evidence of vaccination or immunity to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella
- documentation regarding Hepatitis B immunity status
- current evidence of vaccination or immunity regarding tetanus and diphtheria
- results of a 2-step TB skin test.
- You may need to complete a police check. This is required for placements within selected clinical areas of the McMaster Children's Hospital.
- You will need to sign a Confidentiality Agreement and a Learner Undertaking and Agreement for a Clinical Placement. These will be sent to you once the details of your placement have been confirmed.
At HHS Registered Respiratory Therapists are an integral part of the healthcare team and work to ensure that all patient populations (neonatal, pediatric, and adult) receive quality respiratory care.
HHS is affiliated with Conestoga College and the Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences to provide clinical placements for respiratory therapy students in a variety of clinical settings across HHS.
Clinical areas respiratory therapists are involved with include:
- Intensive Care Unit
- Emergency Department
- General Wards
- Perioperative Services
- Diagnostic Services
- Rehabilitation Services
- Home Care
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
All Respiratory Therapy placements are organized via the clinical placement coordinators at Conestoga College and the Michener Institute for Applied Health Sciences.
As a student you will be required to sign a Confidentiality Agreement and a Learner Undertaking and Agreement for a Clinical Placement.; This will be completed once the details of your placement have been confirmed.
Visit these links to find out more about Respiratory Therapy at Hamilton Health Sciences, our academic partner, and professional organizations:
To learn more about respiratory therapy placement opportunities at Hamilton Health Sciences, please contact:
Educator, Respiratory Therapy
Hamilton Health Sciences
Phone: 905-521-2100 x42228