Where do I go on the day of my first visit?
The McMaster University Medical Centre (MUMC) is located at:
1200 Main Street West
Hamilton, ON L8N 3Z5
Click here for a map of MUMC.
The PND Clinic is located in the 2F area, which is on the second floor in the red section. If you are having an ultrasound on the day of your visit, it will be scheduled before your PND Clinic visit. Ultrasounds are done in Diagnostic Imaging in the 2S area, which is on the second floor in the yellow section.
Click here for a floorplan of MUMC.
What should I expect for my first visit to the PND clinic?
When you arrive in the PND Clinic, you will check in with a business clerk who will verify your health card information. You will be asked to complete a short questionnaire about your pregnancy, medical and family history. During your visit, you will meet with a genetic counsellor and a doctor to:
- Review your pregnancy, medical and family history
- Review the results of any ultrasounds done as part of your visit
- Discuss the risks for the pregnancy
- Learn about screening options for the pregnancy, such as IPS or NIPT
- Learn about testing options for the pregnancy, such as CVS or amniocentesis
- Discuss the plan of care based on the findings for your pregnancy
- You may also be offered to meet with other members of our team, such as a Social Worker.
- If you choose to have any screening or testing, then arrangements can be made at the end of your visit.
- Please note - Amniocentesis and CVS are not scheduled for the same day as your first visit, but generally can be arranged within a couple days of your visit.
How long will my first visit be?
If you are having an ultrasound, it can take between 30 minutes to 2 hours. Generally, you will meet with the genetic counsellor and the doctor for about forty five minutes to an hour, but this varies for each patient. Plan to be in the hospital for between 2 to 4 hours.
Will I have any tests done at my first visit?
Some patients will have an ultrasound scheduled before their visit to the PND Clinic. This will be communicated to you by your referring health care provider’s office. If you are not sure if you are scheduled for an ultrasound, please call the PND Clinic before your visit.
Please note - you are welcome to bring one or more support person(s) to your ultrasound, but they will be asked to remain in the waiting room until the end of your ultrasound.
Amniocentesis and CVS are not scheduled for the same day as a first visit to the clinic. If you choose to have amniocentesis or CVS it will be arranged within a couple days of your visit. If you choose to have a screening test, like IPS, and you are at the right time for the test you will have the option to have your blood work done in the hospital on the day of your visit. You may be offered other blood work, and we will review where and when it can be done.
Where can I get more information?
Please click here for a copy of the PND Clinic information booklet. This booklet is provided to all patients who visit the clinic. It is meant to provide general information, therefore not all of the information will apply to all patients.
The following links may be helpful to search for information on a particular test, birth defect or condition: