Staff & Visitor FYI
Regions first dedicated Child & Youth Mental Health Unit opens at McMaster Children's Hospital
On June 8, 2008, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, David Caplan joined Shane Murphy, a patient of the Child and Youth Mental Health Program in cutting the ribbon at the official opening of the new RBC Child and Youth Mental Health Unit at McMaster Children's Hospital.
Also in attendance to celebrate this special occasion were the Honourable Ted McMeekin, M.P.P, Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale, Sophia Aggelonitis, MPP Hamilton Mountain, Barbara Sullivan, Chair, Hamilton Health Sciences' Board of Directors, donors from the Royal Bank of Canada and Pat Mandy and Jack Brewer, CEO and Vice-Chair of Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant Local Health Integration Network (LHIN).
The unit is one of the largest in Canada and houses 22 inpatient beds, as well as specialized day hospital and outreach services for children and youth up to age 18. Six pediatric and 16 youths will be able to receive care in the unit at any time. The interdisciplinary care team includes psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses, child and youth workers, dietitians, social workers, pharmacists, and occupational therapists.
Children and youth living throughout the Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant, and Waterloo Wellington Local Health Integration Networks can be referred to the program. It is anticipated that as many as 450 children and youth will receive care in the unit each year.
MUMC Redevelopment Update
Redevelopment at McMaster University Medical Centre and McMaster Children's Hospital
Several construction and expansion projects are currently in progress at McMaster University Medical Centre and the McMaster Children's Hospital. Over the next few years, nearly 20 per cent of these hospital sites will be redeveloped, which will accommodate the growth of McMaster Children's Hospital and support the unique needs of pediatric patients and their families. Construction plans include a number of projects designed improve inpatient and outpatient clinical space and enhance adult and pediatric hospital services.
Major project milestones and successfully completed projects include:
- The new McMaster Children's Hospital Ronald McDonald Family Room
- Extensive renovations to Digestive Diseases Clinic
- Renovation and expansion of the 3V1 Ear, Nose and Throat Clinic
- Construction of a new site Spiritual Centre
- Renovation of the Endoscopy Unit - Addition of a new procedure room
- A new Pediatric Sedation Clinic
- Improvement to Inpatient Therapy Treatment Area
- The grand opening of the new RBC Child & Youth Mental Health Unit
Future redevelopment plans include:
- A Pediatric Recreation and Play Area
- Expansion of the Emergency Department will focus on creating an environment that is better suited to caring for young patients
- Creation of a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit that meets the modern demands of the critical care environment
- A fully renovated and expanded Pediatric Ambulatory Clinic