Locations



Founded in 1848 as the first hospital in Hamilton, Hamilton General Hospital has grown to become a leading healthcare provider, not only for the downtown community of Hamilton, but for the entire South Central Ontario region.  With state-of-the-art facilities, the General is recognized as a regional centre of excellence in cardiovascular care, neurosciences, trauma and burn treatment. 

Committed to the principles of patient- and family-centered care, Hamilton General Hospital is a tertiary care centre serving people from Burlington to Brantford and Niagara Falls to Guelph.  The Hamilton General has one of the province's few Burn Units and an Integrated Stroke Unit caring for acute and rehabilitation patients.  Patients who require open-heart surgery or cardiac catheterization are also served by the General's innovative and integrated approach to care.

The General is also home to leading edge research. Hamilton Health Sciences' new David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute is the new home to the Population Health Research Institute (PHRI) and the Henderson Research Centre, and will do wonders to enhance cardiovascular research. The PHRI at the General conducts and co-ordinates international clinical trials to improve the health of people in Hamilton and around the world.

The 100,000-square-foot Regional Rehabilitation Centre, which opened at the General site in September 2009, has 91 inpatient beds, providing care to stroke, spinal cord injury, amputee, trauma, neurobehavioural and acquired brain injury patients.





Located in a picturesque setting near the Niagara Escarpment in Hamilton, Chedoke opened in 1906 as a sanatorium for patients suffering from Tuberculosis. Much has changed since then, and today, Chedoke is home to a number of health care related specialty programs and services.

Hamilton Health Sciences' Chedoke site houses non-acute care programs in a campus setting on Hamilton's west mountain. A leading Prosthetics and Orthotics Department and several McMaster Children's Hospital (MCH) outpatient services are located at Chedoke.

Chedoke continues to evolve and change to meet the health care needs of residents of Hamilton and the region. As redevelopment continues at many of Hamilton Health Sciences' hospital locations, Chedoke will become a major support site for non-acute care programs and hospital administration to allow for further consolidation of specialized services across all hospital sites.

Upon approval from the Ministry of Health & Long Term Care, future redevelopment plans for the Chedoke site will include significant renovation and expansion of existing buildings as well as the construction of a new Ambulatory Centre for Developmental Pediatrics and Rehabilitation, which will house a Child & Youth Mental Health Program, Autism, Audiology and a Prosthetics and Orthotics Department. This new purpose-built facility will be ready for habitation in 2012.

Most of the rehabilitation and acquired brain injury services previously located in 14 different buildings across the city, including Chedoke, moved into the brand new Regional Rehabilitation Centre located at the Hamilton General site in September 2009. This consolidation into a new three-storey, 106,000 square foot building allows for better patient access to diagnostic imaging and other vital hospital resources that serve the rehabilitation and acquired brain injury patient population.

St Joseph's Centre for Mountain Health Services located on West 5th Street and Fennell Ave. West is a secondary location for the Acquired Brain Injury Program.





The Juravinski Hospital began as the Mount Hamilton Hospital in 1917, serving the veterans of the first war and opened as the Henderson General Hospital in 1954 as a 322-bed hospital serving chronic and convalescent patients.

Through the years, the Juravinski Hospital has become an integral part of the mountain community as the region's centre of excellence for cancer and orthopedic care and a full service general hospital.

The Juravinski Hospital provides acute inpatient and palliative care, diagnostic services and an educational environment to support the needs of cancer patients and the Juravinski Cancer Centre.  The Juravinski Hospital's highly regarded Orthopedic program combines health care and research to offer patients a range of services dedicated to helping them prepare for and recover from joint replacement surgery.





The Juravinski Cancer Centre is the most comprehensive centre for cancer care and research in the Central South/Central West region.

Cancer care in this region has made significant advances since the first treatment was provided at the Hamilton General Hospital in 1920.

Today, in addition to providing radiation and chemotherapy treatment for patients, the Juravinski Cancer Centre provides a wide variety of services including genetic and psychosocial counseling, nutritional services and education to help patients and their families. The Centre is actively involved in laboratory research and clinical trials to discover and apply better treatment methods for cancer.

The Centre also offers prevention and screening programs to help decrease the burden of cancer.

The Centre is located on the Hamilton Mountain, next to Hamilton Health Sciences' Juravinski Hospital, which provides acute inpatient and palliative care, as well as diagnostic services for cancer patients. Through the Cancer Centre, Hamilton Health Sciences is a Cancer Care Ontario partner.

 

Dr. Ralph Meyer
President
Juravinski Cancer Centre

For more information, please visit: The Juravinski Cancer Center homeage at: http://www.jcc.hhsc.ca





McMaster Children's Hospital (MCH) is one of the top pediatric academic health science centres in Canada. MCH serves the special and unique healthcare needs of children using a family-centred model of care.

MCH provides a range of specialty inpatient and outpatient services, and is home to one of the largest and most impressive Neonatal Intensive Care Units in Canada. Founded in 1988, MCH has rapidly become a leader in pediatric evidence-based care, collaborative research and innovative leading-edge education.

McMaster Children's Hospital is part of Hamilton Health Sciences' family of hospitals. It is also home to the McMaster Child Health Research Institute (MCHRI), led by McMaster Children's Hospital and McMaster University, Faculty of Health Sciences in conjunction with many key research partners.

McMaster Children's Hospital recognizes that children's health needs are unique and that the development of optimum health in childhood can prevent other conditions of poor health later in life.





Located on the campus of McMaster University, McMaster University Medical Centre (MUMC) opened in 1972 as a state-of-the-art healthcare facility and has been meeting the changing healthcare needs of our community ever since.

McMaster University Medical Centre plays a major role in the provision of healthcare services for Hamilton and the surrounding region of central-west Ontario. MUMC is home to Adult Day Clinics (Medical and Surgical), McMaster Children's Hospital and the Women's Reproductive Health and Newborn Care program.

Our staff is committed to providing the best health care for our patients and their families in an environment that promotes health and fosters learning and innovation.

McMaster University Medical Centre is located at: 1200 Main St. West, Hamilton, Ont. L8N 3Z5





St. Peter's Hospital has specialized in enhancing the lives of seniors and those with chronic illness since 1890.

A complex continuing care hospital on Maplewood Avenue in downtown Hamilton, St. Peter's provides inpatient, outpatient, and community-based programs and services that focus on four pillars of excellence: Dementia, Aging, Palliative Care and Rehabilitation.

Our team of dedicated and expert staff is committed to finding ways to minimize and manage the daily effects of lifelong illness by getting to know the person behind the illness. A high-touch, low-tech approach to caring ensures that the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of each patient are met every day.

St. Peter's Hospital is affiliated with McMaster University and Mohawk College.

St. Peter's Hospital is accredited by Accreditation Canada





The Main Street West Urgent Care Centre (UCC) opened on April 4, 2011, providing another level of care to the community. The UCC serves as an alternative between the doctor's office and an emergency department (ED) as an option when someone is not sick enough to visit an ED but can't wait for an appointment with their doctor.

Features of the Main Street West Urgent Care Centre:

  • Staffed by nurses and emergency physicians who cares for people of all ages who have non-life-threatening illnesses or injuries.

    For example:
    • cuts or wounds that may require stitches
    • sprains, strains or deep bruises
    • ear infections
    • urinary tract infections
    • coughs, congestions, sore throats, fevers
    • insect bites, rashes, scrapes
    • simple broken bones
  • Specialized and private treatment rooms for stitches, resuscitation, fractures, gynecology and ear, nose and throat issues
  • Is equipped to perform X-rays, ultrasounds and blood tests for quicker results.
  • No appointment is needed - it's a walk-in service.
  • Service is timely - most patients are treated and on their way in less than two hours.
  • Open every day from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. including holidays
  • Parking is available at a flat rate of $5.