Orthopaedic and Fracture Clinics
Hamilton Health Sciences has three Orthopaedic/Fracture Clinics. The Orthopaedic Clinic at the Hamilton General Hospital and the Juravinski Hospital serve the needs of adult patients requiring the services of orthopaedic care. The McMaster University Medical Centre (MUMC) Fracture Clinic provides orthopaedic care to children, adolescents and adults.
Booking an Appointment
The Orthopaedic Call Centre phone line is open from Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. 905-521-2100 ext. 75665. It is closed on statutory holidays.
If you receive the automated voice message, please leave a brief message with the patient’s name, telephone number, health card number and the location of the Orthopaedic/Fracture Clinic where the appointment is to be booked.
If you were a patient in the Emergency Department and need to book a follow up appointment, please call the Orthopaedic Call Centre the next business day to book your appointment. Please have your health card number ready when you call.
If you are a postoperative patient, you will receive an appointment from the discharging unit before you go home from your surgery, if an appointment is not provided to you please contact the Orthopaedic Call Centre to schedule your appointment.
The Orthopaedic Call Centre does not accept referrals from physician’s offices- they must be sent directly to an orthopaedic surgeon’s office. For urgent referrals only, please page the orthopaedic surgeon on call at 905 521-2100.
Hamilton General Hospital
237 Barton St E
Hamilton ON L8L 2X2
Main level, in Section W, entrance across from Section M
711 Concession St
Hamilton ON L8V 1C3
Level 1, Section B
McMaster University Medical Centre
1200 Main St W
Hamilton ON L8N 3Z5
Level 2, Section Q (Yellow)
About your Visit
What Do I Bring?
- Your Ontario Health Card or proof of medical coverage
- If your injury happened at work, bring your WSIB number, the date of your injury and your employer’s name
- If your referring physician provided you with a CD or DVD of previous imaging results (such as x-rays, CT scans or MRIs) or an access code to view the imaging please bring the disc or code to your appointment.
What to expect?
- Upon arrival, check in at the Orthopaedic/Fracture Clinic where you will be registered for your appointment by one of the Business Clerks.
- At this appointment wait times will vary, plan for at least one hour and up to 3 hours.
Why am I waiting?
- The time you are given to check in may not reflect the time you are going to be seen by the surgeon. You should allow 3 hours for your visit including registration, x-rays, and seeing the surgeon.
- Some patients may take longer to treat than others
- The surgeon may be delayed
- Ambulance patients are cared for first
Why are some patients called before me?
- Some patients are called for another surgeon
- Some patients are called for x-rays
- Some patients are called to receive treatment by the Orthopedic Technologist
- We do our best to keep all patients’ charts in order, so they are cared for in order
Does OHIP cover all my care costs?
- Not all equipment and supplies are covered by OHIP. Some things that are not covered include: wrist splints, air casts, and fiber glass casts. Your extended health care coverage (private insurance) may pay for these. The Orthopedic Technologist will provide you with a detailed bill for those items that are not covered.