Neurosurgery Inpatient Unit (7 West)
The Neurosurgery Inpatient Unit (7 West) and Neurosurgery Stepdown Unit is where most patients spend their time in hospital after having brain surgery.
Care We Provide
- Pre-and post-operative care of patients who have had brain surgery
- Provide patients with access to research opportunities
What to bring: Please bring a current list of your medications each time you come to the hospital as well as toiletries, comfortable clothing and shoes you can walk in.
Private rooms: If you have private or semi-private coverage and/or you would like a private room, please advise us.
Visitors: Family and friends may visit you in the hospital. Visitors may be asked to step out of your room so staff may provide care.
Devices: You may use your cellular phone. Wireless internet (WiFi) is available for a fee.
Outpatient visits to the clinic: Before or after surgery or a hospital stay, you may have appointments with your doctor. These can take place in a variety of settings, including at your doctor’s office. Contact your doctor’s office directly for the date, time, and location of your appointment.
Patients on the unit: 7 West is where most patients who have had brain surgery spend their time. Depending on your doctor’s judgment, you may spend some time in an Intensive Care Unit before you are transferred to 7 West. Sometimes, you may require closer monitoring. If this is the case, you will be admitted to the 7 West Step Down Unit. You may come to the unit from the Emergency Department, from an Intensive Care Unit, directly from surgery. You may also be transferred to 7 West from other hospitals to receive expert care.
Some of the team members you may encounter on 7 West include:
- Doctors: Your Neurosurgeon is most responsible for your care. They may ask other specialists to consult, as well. In the Step Down Unit, there will also be a doctor that specializes in Critical Care.
- Doctors in training (Residents and Clinical Fellows) who are training to be Neurosurgeons
- Physician Assistants
- Nurse Practitioner
- Speech and Language Pathologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Social Workers
- Unit Clerks