COVID-19: Learners & Students
Screening for Learners & Students
As part of our commitment to a safe and healthy workplace, learners are required to complete an online self-screening tool prior to every admittance to the hospital site. The self-screening tool is a quick and convenient way for you to screen for any symptoms of COVID-19 prior to your shift.
Here’s how it works:
- Before you come into the hospital, go to staffscreen.hhsc.ca or scan the QR code on posters at staff entrances
- Enter zero in the ID field, complete your personal details (name, email), select Students for Job Category, Site you are entering and proceed to the screen questions
- At the end of the screen, you will receive a message directing you to proceed to the site or self-isolate and notify EHS
- Have your HHS or student ID ready for entry to the hospital
Beginning on Thursday July 2, all staff, physicians and learners who self-screen using the online screening tool and have a clean mask to don before entering the hospital will not have to stop at a screening booth.
- You will need to have a clean mask with you and don it prior to entering the hospital. Hand sanitizing stations are available at all entrances so that you can clean your hands before putting on your mask.
- A mask and paper bag will be provided to you at the end of your previous shift to take home and bring back with you for your next shift. Your manager will provide details about how this will work in your area.
If you do not have access to a clean mask
- If you do not have a clean mask with you upon arrival, you can obtain one at the staff entrance from July 2 – 8. As of July 9 you will be required to obtain a mask via the patient/visitor screening entrances.
- If you have not completed the self-screening tool prior to arriving at a clinical site, verbal screening will be completed at the visitors’ entrance
- If you fail screening, you are to contact Hamilton Health Sciences’ Employee Health Services (EHS) at COVIDFORMS@HHSC.CA or ext. 42200, and provide details including your name, symptoms and contact information so that COVID-19 testing can be arranged. Your health card should be readily available, as it will be required by both EHS and Public Health.
- Any learner who is non-compliant with screening processes will be denied entry to Hamilton Health Sciences and will be reported to their academic program.
If you have any questions, please contact the HITS Helpdesk via myIT, email to email@example.com or 905-521-2100 ext. 43000.
Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) Checklist
The overarching goal of IPAC is to protect the health and safety of our patients, staff, physicians and Learners. This check list provides a summary of IPAC recommendations that help reduce risk in the hospital setting.
HHS and SJHH are also committed to the prevention of occupational illness and injury and supports an environment free from violence and harassment. HHS will take every precaution reasonable in the circumstance for the protection of our healthcare workers.
View the IPAC checklist here.
At each of the sites, lockers are available for day use. Learners are asked to bring a lock and keep all belongings, including lunches, in these lockers. Kindly refrain from using space on the units that is designated for staff.
For locker areas that require a pass code, please contact your academic program for this information.
Juravinski Hospital G Wing, Level 0
General Hospital Level 0, West end of building (Rooms B0-020 and B0-025)
|McMaster University Medical Centre||Students with McMaster Faculty of Health Sciences: Please contact your respective program within McMaster Faculty of Health Sciences.
Others: HSC 1J1 and 1J2
|St. Peter’s Hospital||Basement Level:
|West Lincoln Memorial Hospital||Basement Level:
For breaks and meals, learners are to use the common areas available at each site. Additional space is available as noted below:
|Please refer to this memo.|
|Please refer to this memo.|
|McMaster University Medical Centre||There are two rooms currently open as lunch/break rooms: HSC Farncombe Atrium and HSC 4H1.
Farncombe Atrium (3rd floor Blue)
HSC 4H1 (4th floor Purple)