COVID-19: HHS Resources
Goals of Care
In order to support clinicians at HHS and beyond, we have developed a set of tools to facilitate conversations about goals of care during COVID-19. While difficult, it is more important than ever to have conversations with patients and families about realistic goals of care. Taking the time to have these conversations, however brief, helps your patients feel heard, minimizes their sense of isolation, and often helps them understand of their medical team’s recommendations. Tools, including a flow map, conversation guides, and patient letters can which can be found here. Please lean on your colleagues with experience in advanced care planning as we navigate this uncharted territory together.
Resilience Support Toolkit
The Resilience Support Toolkit is meant to help us all strengthen our resilience by working resilience-building practices into our daily routines and workflow, using the framework of PAUSE, RESET, NOURISH or PRN. These practices are based on solid neuroscience and the idea of “neuroplasticity”, that our brains are constantly changing based on how we think and what we choose to focus on. These tools help to calm our nervous system and enhance our focus and well-being.
Confidential coaching sessions for leaders are now available to help you to lead through the complexity and flux of this pandemic. Coaches are organizational development specialists and are available seven days a week to act as sounding boards, provide guidance, and share strategies and tools to help build resilience and problem-solve.
• Coaching is available to executives, directors, managers and physician leaders.
• The coaching sessions are confidential and can be scheduled for up to 30 minutes at a time.
• Leaders can schedule a coaching session on an as-needed basis and request a coaching conversation at the last minute as the need arises.
• Flexible hours are available to meet the demanding and varying schedules of our leaders.
• Coaching sessions can be booked by emailing: email@example.com
What should I expect in a coaching session?
• The coach is there to act as a thought partner for problem-solving, decision-making, as a sounding-board to listen and help work through challenges leaders are facing leading others through the crisis right now.
• Coaching relationships will be characterized by openness, trust, compassion, support
• Leaders will be able to safely and confidentially share concerns and work through issues they are experiencing with their coach
• Leaders will gain resilience strategies and tools that will enable them to care for themselves in a way that will enable them to lead themselves and their teams even more effectively
Fierce Compassion – An Intrinsic Tool for Resilient Leadership Slides
Team Dynamics from the Frontline to the C-Suite Webinar Slides
Organizational Ethics Decision Making Tool
Q&A – Leading Effective Meetings Webinar
Slides – Leading Effective Meetings Webinar
The Vital Agenda
Best Self Worst Self Activity
Building Capacity for Crucial Conversations
Difficult Conversations – Bringing Peace into a Pandemic Slides
Ethics during COVID-19
In preparing for and responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, HHS will face a multitude of difficult ethical decisions. These should be made according to a fair process, and guided by ethical principles. Inquiries related to ethics and COVID-19 can be directed to the HHS Ethics Program at 905-870-0118 or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The HHS Ethics Program is providing support at all levels of the organization, and has developed resources to support the application of ethical principles to pandemic response.
MORE ETHICS RESOURCES REGARDING COVID ARE AVAILALBE AT:
1. Joint Centre for Bioethics: Stand on Guard for Thee: Ethical Considerations in Preparedness Planning for Pandemic Influenza
2. World Health Organization: WHO COVID-19 Information and Guidance
The goal of the Office of Clinical & Organizational Ethics at Hamilton Health Sciences is to build ethics capacity and nurture a culture that makes it easy to “do the right thing”; this requires the integration of effective ethical decision-making, supportive systems and processes, and an enabling environment and culture.
To learn more about Ethics at HHS, please visit the Hub.
Discounts and Offers
Our community has reached out to share discounts and offers to our HHS healthcare staff and physicians to express their appreciation and to recognize the work that you do. In the link below you will find a list of these offers with instructions in how to access them. If you have an offer or discount to share please contact email@example.com. We will be updating this list on a regular basis so please check back frequently.