Complex Care, Aging and Palliative Care
About the Department
The Department of Complex Care, Aging and Palliative Care provides services to in patients primarily at the St.Peter’s Hospital site, while also providing Palliative Care Consultation services at the JH and HGH. Our in-patient programs at St.Peter’s include Restorative Care, Medically Complex, Behavioural Health and a 60 bed Clinical Teaching Unit in Palliative Care. Currently, there are 235 in patient beds for these 4 program streams. Our medical model is that of a family physicians with enhanced skills in complex care who act as the MRP, supported by specialists in geriatrics, psychiatry and geriatric psychiatry. Our palliative care CTU is staffed by 2 palliative care specialists supported by family physicians with expertise in palliative care. In addition to the in-patient services, St. Peter’s Hospital is home to the Centre for Healthy Aging and the GERAS centre for geriatric research. The CFHA provides out-patient consultation services in geriatric medicine, falls clinic and a memory clinic, along with geriatric mental health outreach.
About the Chief – Dr. Seeley
Dr. Seeley was born in Toronto and educated at the University of Toronto (Honors BA Philosophy/English), followed by his MD in 1974. Dr. Seeley completed his residency at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto.
Dr. Seeley began family practice in Grimsby with a 5 partner group in 1975 and worked there until moving to SPH in 2003 where he now practices as a solo family doctor. Dr. Seeley’s medical interests have included emergency medicine, critical care, obstetrics as well as palliative care and administrative medicine.
Dr. Seeley was the Chief of Staff at WLMH for 9 years; Chief of Staff SPH for 2 years prior to amalgamation with HHS. He is currently the Chief of Dept. CCA and Palliative Care.
Dr. Seeley obtained his Certified Canadian Physician Executive designation in 2013. His current practice includes family medicine (all ages), palliative care (in the hospital Clinical Teaching Unit at SPH), and administrative medicine.
Currently active in the following committees:
- Co-chair: Quality End of Life Steering Committee
- Member: Physicians Assisted Death committee
- Member: MAC
- Member: Rehabilitation Alliance Task Force (Ontario)
- Past Board member: Ontario College of Family Physicians
- Past Co-chair: Long Term Care Working Group committee
Dr. Seeley has been married for 44 years, has 2 sons, and 2 wonderful grandkids. His personal interests include golf, swimming, basketball, bridge.
firstname.lastname@example.org, 905-521-2100 ext. 12311
Our Area Leaders
- Restorative Care: Dr. K. Shankardass and Dr. W. Ayeni – Medical Directors
- Palliative Care: Dr. J. Shadd and Dr. B. Hattersley – Medical Directors
- Complex Care: Dr. M. Sergeant and Dr. W. Ayeni – Medical Directors
- Behavioural Health: Dr. T. Mathe and Dr. S. Luthra – Medical Directors
- Physiatrist: Dr. P. Stacey
- Geriatrician: Dr. T. Woo
- Psychiatry: Dr. S. Luthra