Hamilton’s COVID-19 Testing Centres increase capacity to meet community need
HAMILTON, ON – With an increase in daily COVID-19 cases, demand for testing and anticipation of increased volumes in September as students return to school Hamilton’s COVID-19 Testing and Assessment Centres are increasing capacity to meet the needs of Hamilton residents.
- Yesterday, the St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton Mountain COVID-19 Testing Centre located at Mohawk College (135 Fennell Ave West) expanded operating hours to Mon-Fri: 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. and from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. This site has capacity to test 1,000 tests daily.
- Tomorrow, September 1, 2021 the Hamilton Health Sciences West End Assessment Centre, 690 Main St. West, will resume operations 7 days a week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. This site will begin with a capacity of 200 tests daily building towards 500.
Residents can visit www.HamiltonCovidTest.ca for more information on COVID-19 testing and to book an appointment for a test in Hamilton.
Testing Centres will only test those who fall within the Ontario provincial guidelines. The Testing Centres are not permitted to and do not provide any swabs or testing required for travel or to attend/participate/gain entry to public events (i.e. sporting events, and concerts.) For asymptomatic testing please visit a pharmacy or lab offering these tests. A list of these locations is available on the provincial government website: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/assessment-centre-locations
Symptomatic testing will also continue to take place to assist vulnerable populations such as those in long-term care facilities and retirement homes, and individuals experiencing homelessness. Mobile testing teams will continue to be operated by Hamilton Paramedic Service for those who are homebound, in addition to offering mobile testing in areas with low vaccine uptake and high COVID-19 rates.
Further information from Ontario Health West regarding continued expansion to access testing in the community is anticipated. Additional locations will be announced as needed in the future.
- Testing Centres will only test those who fall within the Ontario provincial guidelines.
- To date, Hamilton has administered a total of 370,363 of COVID-19 tests at testing and assessment centres, and a total of 792,861 overall.
- At peak times of the COVID-19 pandemic, Hamilton was administering approx. 1300 COVID-19 tests per day at local assessment and testing centres.
- Currently, the average number of tests completed in Hamilton assessment and testing centres over the last 7 days is 616.
- Local laboratories have ample capacity and are able to provide results within 24 to 48 hours.
- For assistance scheduling an appointment, call the COVID Support Service Centre operated by St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton at 289-778-1465.
- Public Health Services’ COVID-19 Hotline: 905-974-9848 or email@example.com
Communications & Public Affairs
Hamilton Health Sciences
905-521-2100 ext. 49498
Senior Communications Officer
City of Hamilton
Senior Public Affairs Specialist
St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton