We’re hiring for a Chief of Obstetrics & Gynecology
The Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology plays a critical role in building relationships across the sites of HHS, McMaster University Faculty of Health Sciences, and St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton. Partnering closely with McMaster University Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) Chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and other University leaders, the Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology will co-lead with administrative colleagues to support HHS’ Strategic goals and planning that supports the region and community HHS serves. The Chief will support the transformation agenda at HHS with new initiatives such as the Hospital Information System renewal, and the commitment of the hospital to a co-leadership model between physicians and management.
We’re hiring for a Medical Director for the Michael G. DeGroote Pain Management Clinic
Hamilton Health Sciences seeks a Medical Director for the Michael G. DeGroote Pain Management Clinic, which is aligned with the Department of Anesthesia.
IDDSI Dysphagia Diet Change
Behaviour Safety Risk Protocol
A Behaviour Safety Risk (BSR) Communication and Care Plan Program is now in place at all hospital sites to meet the health and safety needs of physicians, learners, staff and patients. To learn more, visit the BSR intranet page (access to Citrix required).
Welcome to the Physician page – a collection of important resources for physicians and medical learners at Hamilton Health Sciences, as well as healthcare providers in the community.
Hamilton Health Sciences is home to 18 Clinical Departments servicing 2.3 million residents of Hamilton and South Central Ontario, Canada. To find out more information about each department, the Chief and other important information, please browse through each of the department pages.
If you don’t see your department’s page listed, please connect with your Chief’s Office.
The Credentials Office provides services to support the relationship between Hamilton Health Sciences/St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton/Niagara Health/Haldimand War Memorial Hospital and the Credentialed Professional Staff (physicians, dentists & midwives). The office supports the administration of new appointments, reappointments, and observers for HHS/SJHH.
Learn more about appointments and observership. Note: All observerships are currently on hold and the status of the program will be updated in the fallof 2021.
N95 Mask Fit Test
Fit Tests are valid for 2 years. To book an appointment, please visit the HHS Intranet, click on Health Safety & Wellness, Select Safety Services and click N95 Fit Testing Clinic on the right hand side.
- Credentials Office – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Crystal Zdriluk, Credentials Coordinator– New Appointments, ext. 72340, email@example.com
- Huyam Abdelhalim, Credentials Coordinator– Reappointments (Niagara Health), ext. 75461, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristi Van den Heuvel, Credentials Coordinator, ext. 44384, email@example.com
Medical Advisory Committee
The Medical Advisory Committee (MAC) is accountable to the Board of Directors in accordance with the Public Hospitals Act. The committee is in place to promote the highest standards of medical care and professionalism throughout the hospital.
The MAC has a number of subcommittees which provides for leadership opportunities for physicians and service to monitor and improve policies and quality initiatives. These subcommittees include:
- Clinical Ethics – Andrea Frolic
- Credentials – Dr. Smita Halder
- Death Review – Dr. Smita Halder
- Hamilton Integrated Research Ethics Board (HiREB) – Fred Spencer, Mark Inman
- Health Records – Dereck Hunt
- Medical Directives and Authorizing Mechanisms (MAMS) – Pam Hewitson, Cindy Hamielec
- Medical Education – Alison Fox-Robichaud
- Order Sets Committee – Rob Lloyd, Joanne Wright, Leslie Cicero David Millar
- Organ/Tissue Donation – Isabel Hayward, Nancy Glover
- Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T) – Farzin Visram, Marita Tonkin, Nancy Nesathurai
- Regional Infection Prevention – Dominik Mertz
- Transfusion Medicine – Ted Warkentin
The MAC provides general supervision over the practice of medicine, dentistry and midwifery in the hospital and is an important link to addressing issues that impact Professional Staff members (physicians, dentists and midwives) clinically and professionally. The MAC makes recommendations to the Board of Directors concerning matters prescribed by the Public Hospitals Act including:
- The quality of care provided in the Hospitals by the Professional Staff
- The By-Laws respecting any Professional Staff
- Privileges granted to each member of the Professional Staff
- Appointment and reappointment to the Professional Staff
- The dismissal, suspension or restrictions of privileges of any member of the Professional Staff
The MAC also facilitates the development and maintenance of Rules and Regulations, Policies and ethical guidelines and procedures related to the roles of the Professional Staff.
MAC Chair – Dr. Smita Halder
Assistant: Karen MacDonald, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Chair is appointed by the Board for a 3 year term (renewable once). The Chair will provide leadership in the establishment of an interdisciplinary approach to patient and family-centered care and service and work to create an environment that promotes commitment to continuous improvement of patient outcomes. The role is defined by both the Public Hospitals Act and our Corporate Bylaws. The Chair of the MAC is a member of the Board of HHS and a number of quality and policy committees throughout HHS.
Medical Staff Association
All eligible Medical Staff are automatically granted membership to the MSA, for the duration of their Medical Staff status at HHS.
The MSA represents and advocates on behalf of the medical staff at all Hamilton Health Sciences sites. Our objectives are:
- to ensure excellence in patient care at HHS
- to create an environment of trust for the Medical Staff
- to support the best interests and advocate for the Medical staff
- to foster leadership development to ensure the Medical Staff can play an effective role in HHS governance, decision-making, and planning
Click here to Learn more about the Medical Staff Association.
The HHS MSA Executive Committee Members meet regularly between September and June of each year. Members of MSA are invited to attend four General Business Meting Meetings during that period. View our events calendar.
Starting 2020, the MSA Minutes will cover items of importance or impact on MSA Members covered during monthly MSA Executive Committee Meetings. View the MSA meeting minutes.
To contact the MSA Office, please email MSA@hhsc.ca.
The Department of Medical Affairs supports the relationship between the Professional Staff, Medical Trainees, and the Hospital. Working closely with medical leaders, hospital administrative leaders, McMaster University’s Faculty of Health Sciences and the research institutes, the Department of Medical Affairs supports processes such as:
- Credentialing & Reappointment of all Professional Staff
- Career and Leadership Development of physicians
- Medical Learner support
- Physician Orientation
- Physician remuneration (HOCC payments, physician leadership stipends)
- Related Contracts
- Tanya Roglich, Manager, Medical Affairs, ext. 46862, email@example.com
- Lori Arbeau, Medical Affairs Specialist, ext. 75273, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erika Unelli, Medical Affairs Specialist – Academic Relations, ext. 44281, email@example.com
- Tammy Trowers, Medical Affairs Administrative Assistant, ext. 75457, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Quinn Kolthof, Medical Affairs Senior Specialist, email@example.com
The Physician Hospital Partnership-Implementation Group (PHP-IG) is a committee comprised of physicians and administrative members of Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) working to create a culture of mutual respect and trust between HHS and the Medical Staff members. The committee works to:
- Implement mechanisms, tools, and resources to enhance physician engagement.
- Ensure that HHS and the Medical Staff have a partnership based relationship.
- Create mechanisms and systems to ensure that the expertise of our physicians informs organizational decision making, in a model of shared accountability.
- For HHS and the Medical Staff to action on identified priorities related to making HHS the workplace of choice and a great place to practice medicine.
View a timeline of the Physician-Hospital Partnership work.
View Terms of Reference for the Physician Hospital Partnership Group.
PHP Committee Co-chairs: Dr. Susan O’Leary and Dr. Katherine Zukotynski
- Clinical Practice & Education
- Laboratory Test Information Guide
- Ontario Drug Benefit Formulary
- Canadian Medical Association
- Canadian Medical Protective Association
- Choosing Wisely Canada
- Choosing Wisely Ontario
- College of Family Physicians of Canada
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- CRA Canada Revenue Agency TD1 Tax Credits Return
- Emergency Disaster Management External App
- McMaster University
- Ontario Medical Association
- Ontario Rheumatology Association
- Policy Library
- Professional Staff By-law
- Public Hospitals Act
- Resource Manual for Physicians (MOHLTC)
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Schedule of Benefits
Accreditation sends a strong signal to our patients and our community that Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) is deeply committed to safety, quality and operational excellence. Just as important, accreditation also provides critical feedback in the continuous improvement cycle at our hospital. Every four years, the accreditation process recognizes what we are doing exceptionally well and provides guidance on what we can do better.
HHS was proud to achieve “Exemplary Standing” with Accreditation Canada in 2011 and 2015. We are now pursuing our third consecutive ‘Exemplary Standing’ with Accreditation Canada in 2019. The onsite visit will take place June 17 to 21, 2019. Please take the time to learn more about how you can be prepared.
- Connect with the administrative leads for program/services
- Review the ROPs and questions you may be asked by a surveyor
- Read the FAQ
- ROP Video – Information Transfer at Care Transitions
- ROP Video – Venous Thromboembolism (VTE) Prophylaxis
- ROP Video – Patient Identification
- Getting ready: From the perspective of Dr. Corey Sawchuk
Medical Learners & Residents
Hamilton Health Sciences is proud to partner with McMaster University’s Faculty of Health Sciences to offer a unique academic environment for medical students and residents to learn and provide highly skilled care to our patients in the process.
If you are unsure who to contact with your questions, you can contact the Medical Affairs team at firstname.lastname@example.org or at ext. 44281.
Please see our Things to Know tip sheet for important information for residents!
Resident Information, Pay & Benefits
Residents are paid by Hamilton Health Sciences, and as such are considered employees of the organization. Residents can access personal information & pay slips via myHR – HHS’ online HR system.
- Need to update personal information (contact info, mailing address etc)
- Have questions pertaining to your pay
- Have questions pertaining to your benefits
- Have questions pertaining to the myHR system
…please contact Human Resources at myHR@hhsc.ca or call ext. 46947.
Call stipends entries are due 30 days following the month in which the call was worked.
To submit your calls, please visit https://hhsstipend.hhsc.ca/.
Stipends are paid on a quarterly basis on the second pay of the month in:
For more information on call stipends (types of call, due dates, maximums), please visit the PARO website.
If you have any questions about your stipends, please contact email@example.com.
Call rooms are available weekdays from 4:00 p.m. – return key by 9:00 a.m. – and weekends from 12:00 p.m. (MUMC), 1:00 p.m. (HGH & JH) – return key by 9:00 a.m.
Key boxes can be found in the following locations:
- Hamilton General Hospital – Level 2 near Emergency
- Juravinski – B3 Call Room Area
- McMaster – 3E Call Room Area
Note: Please remove all personal items when vacating the call room. Failure to return a key will result in a $150 replacement charge.
Lockers are available for day use only.
Lockers at the Hamilton General are located on Level 0, Room 12 (code is same as call room area). For lockers at the Juravinski and McMaster sites, please contact your program.
Care-providers in our community are crucial partners to providing our patients with the best outcomes.
Click the buttons below to find helpful information about our programs and clinics:
Hamilton Health Sciences is working with our regional partners to gradually reintroduce scheduled surgical and outpatient clinical care for our patients. We look forward to resuming these services to patients who have been waiting for care, but we must do so in a way that recognizes the pandemic is not over, and ensures there is space for any potential surge in COVID-19 patients.
- Patients will be notified when their surgery or appointment has been scheduled. They do not need to contact the hospital.
- If you would like to inquire about the status of a referral from before or during the pandemic, please contact that clinic.
- Patients who have concerns about their health status should contact their clinic or family physician’s office for guidance.
- We have also been increasing the number of telephone and virtual visits to provide care where possible. Such visits will continue through this next phase of resuming scheduled services. You can expect to receive notes from any telephone and virtual visits in the usual manner.
- Appointments can change. We will do everything possible to keep a patient’s appointment once it is scheduled. It’s possible that appointments could change if the hospital needs to take care of emergency and urgent cases.
- Our clinicians are constantly evaluating the care needs of people who are waiting and moving individuals into the urgent and emergent categories as needed.
- Please follow our process before COVID-19 to make a referral and forms are available.
We sincerely appreciate your understanding and collaboration during this time.
Our referral library contains a comprehensive list of requisition and referral forms.