Preparing for Your Visit
We know that a visit to the hospital can be stressful. There are a few things you can do to prepare yourself or a loved one to make your experience as seamless as possible.
Confirming your appointment
If you’ve been referred to one of our clinics by your family doctor, please contact them to confirm your appointment details.
If your family doctor did not refer you or if you don’t have a family doctor, please contact the HHS clinic where you have your appointment to confirm your appointment details.
If you don’t know the phone number to the HHS clinic you are visiting, call 905-521-2100 and follow the instructions to reach an operator. Please have the following ready:
- The name of the hospital or centre where your appointment is scheduled
- The name of the clinic or the doctor you’re scheduled to see
Finding your way
- Before you arrive, find parking and directions for the site you are visiting.
- To help you find your way inside our buildings, you can view floor maps and find information about the types of services offered at that site.
- If you need help once you arrive, please ask our Information Desk staff who are located in the front lobbies of our hospital sites.
- At Hamilton General Hospital and Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, we have volunteers in the main lobby who can help you find your way.
You may be required to register at our Patient Registration office before proceeding to your scheduled appointment. The locations of our Patient Registration departments at each site are listed below.
- Juravinski Hospital & Cancer Centre: just inside the hospital’s main entrance and to the left, behind the information desk.
- McMaster University Medical Centre/McMaster Children’s Hospital: inside the main entrance of the hospital and to the right.
- Hamilton General Hospital: inside the main hospital entrance to the left, past the information desk.
What to bring
Whether you are coming to the hospital for a clinic appointment, day surgery or an overnight stay, a little preparation will help your visit go smoothly. Here is a list of items you should bring with you when you come to the hospital:
- appointment information:
- name of the doctor you are seeing
- location of where your appointment is taking place
- name and phone number of referring physician
- name and phone number of your family physician if different from above
- name and phone number of substitute decision maker and alternate contact person
- health card/OHIP card
- health insurance information
- comfortable clothing, shoes, and slippers
- cheque, debit or credit card for additional expenses
If you will be staying overnight, please bring the items listed above, as well as:
- toiletries and personal items (such as a toothbrush, comb, etc.)
- change of clothes for your trip home
Your healthcare team
Hamilton Health Sciences is a teaching hospital. In addition to hospital staff and doctors, medical residents and healthcare students may also be involved in your care. View a list of some of the healthcare professionals who may be part of your healthcare team here at HHS.