Weekly Update on Hospital Capacity – November 9, 2023
Hamilton’s healthcare partners are asking for the community’s help in preventing the spread of respiratory illness this fall/winter season and preserving access to the city’s urgent care and emergency resources for those who need them most.
As part of this effort, Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) will be sharing weekly updates about hospital capacity, and links to stories/health tips to support our community this fall/winter season.
All HHS sites, including our emergency departments (EDs) continue to be under significant pressure. We are grateful to all of our staff and physicians for their tireless efforts to meet the needs of all patients.
- The number of people visiting our EDs is higher than at this time last year, and steadily rising in alignment with the viral season.
- HHS adult acute sites are routinely operating at over 100% occupancy.
- The Hamilton General Hospital remains on redirect for non-regional critical care to ensure that level-3 critical care capacity remains available for those requiring specialized care in our regional programs such cardiac, stroke, burns , neuro and trauma.
- We are currently at approximately 90% of pre-COVID surgical activity. Where necessary, some scheduled care is being deferred to lessen the pressure on patient flow and ensure HHS can fulfil its regional and critical care mandate.
- Staff absences due to illness and ongoing system-wide staff and physician challenges are ongoing.
- The Satellite Health Facility (SHF), operated jointly by HHS and St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton remains at 100% occupancy. Patients who no longer need hospital-based acute care can be transferred to the SHF to preserve hospital capacity for those that need it most.
Individuals who seek care in our EDs should be aware that they may face long wait times. HHS physician-in-chief Dr. Khalid Azzam explains the reasons why: Top 5 causes of emergency department wait times.
Hospital activity – November 9
|Funded Occupancy Rates:|
|Hamilton General Hospital||100%|
|Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre||105%|
|McMaster Children’s Hospital||93%|
|West Lincoln Memorial Hospital||129%|
|ALC Patient Occupancy||261|
|COVID+ Patients in ICU||Less than 5|
|Active COVID Outbreaks||1|
RESOURCES FOR COMMUNITY MEMBERS
- Get your flu and COVID-19 vaccinations as soon as possible
- Information about healthcare options: needadoc.ca
- To book an appointment with at an urgent care centre: urgentcareontario.ca
- Wait times at Hamilton’s emergency departments: hamiltonemergencywaittimes.ca
- To find out where to get COVID-19 and influenza vaccines in Hamilton: hamilton.ca/covid and hamilton.ca/GetYourVaccine
- To speak with a registered nurse 24/7: health811.ontario.ca
- To find healthcare services and providers: greaterhamiltonhealthnetwork.ca