Weekly Update – October 26, 2023
Hamilton’s healthcare partners are asking for the community’s help in preventing the spread of respiratory illness this fall/winter season and preserving access to the city’s urgent care and emergency resources for those who need them most.
As part of this effort, Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) will be sharing weekly updates about hospital capacity, and links to stories/health tips to support our community this fall/winter season.
HHS staff and physicians continue to work tirelessly to care for all patients. However, severe capacity pressures are also continuing. These pressures are related to a high number of very sick patients requiring care, limited community capacity for patients awaiting discharge, and on-going healthcare worker shortages.
We know that these pressures may result in longer wait times for patients and we are grateful for their patience. Everyone is reminded to get their flu shot as soon as possible and COVID-10 vaccination when eligible.
Know Before You Go
When faced with a sudden injury or a worsening illness, is your first stop the hospital emergency department (ED)?
A new public awareness campaign by Hamilton Health Sciences together with our local health care partners St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton, Hamilton Public Health Services and the Hamilton Family Health Team is encouraging people to find the most appropriate care, as fast and efficiently as possible, including options other than the ED.
For more information and your options for care, please visit https://www.hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/share/options-beyond-emergency-departments/.
Hospital activity – October 26
|Funded Occupancy Rates:|
|Hamilton General Hospital||107%|
|Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre||115%|
|McMaster Children’s Hospital||98%|
|West Lincoln Memorial Hospital||112%|
|ALC Patient Occupancy||261|
|COVID+ Patients in ICU||Less than 5|
|Active COVID Outbreaks||1|
RESOURCES FOR COMMUNITY MEMBERS
- Get your flu and COVID-19 vaccinations as soon as possible
- Information about healthcare options: needadoc.ca
- To book an appointment with at an urgent care centre: urgentcareontario.ca
- Wait times at Hamilton’s emergency departments: hamiltonemergencywaittimes.ca
- To find out where to get COVID-19 and influenza vaccines in Hamilton: hamilton.ca/covid and hamilton.ca/GetYourVaccine
- To speak with a registered nurse 24/7: health811.ontario.ca
- To find healthcare services and providers: greaterhamiltonhealthnetwork.ca