Returning to school with rainbow rolls
It’s that time of year again where parents, guardians and children alike are readjusting to the back-to-school routine. Planning and packing lunches and snacks are part of that, and this rainbow rolls sandwich recipe is a great option for families looking to incorporate nutritious and easy-to-prepare meals into daily routines.
Getting all food groups in one meal
These veggie rolls are a great way to include multiple nutrients from all food groups into one meal.
“There’s fibre in the tortilla, vitamins and minerals in the veggies, and protein in the hummus,” says Anne Marie Digravio, registered dietitian in the McMaster Children’s Hospital’s Children’s Exercise and Nutrition Centre (CENC). “If your child doesn’t like hummus or tzatziki, you could use a small amount of plain, low fat Greek yogurt in its place.”
Staying fuller for longer
Protein is one nutrient that helps make us feel full and stay full for a longer time.
“Adding extra protein to these rolls will help us accomplish this,” says Digravio. “Try adding extra low fat cheese on the side, or a dip of hummus or low fat Greek yogurt with added spices. You can also try incorporating any leftover meats, like chicken, to the roll itself.”
This rainbow rolls recipe, made in partnership between the CENC and Meant2Prevent – a youth diabetes prevention initiative – is both colourful and delicious. Try different combinations of vegetables to make your own unique rainbow.
Rainbow Rolls (makes 1 serving)
- 1 Tbsp hummus
- 1 Tbsp tzatziki
- 1 large lettuce leaf, chopped
- Cucumber, sliced
- Bell pepper, sliced
- Carrots, grated or sliced thin
- 1 10″ whole wheat tortilla
- Lay tortilla flat on a plate. Spread tzatziki and hummus all over the tortilla, leaving a 1 inch border
- Place some lettuce on top of the hummus.
- Add cucumber, carrot, and pepper on top of the lettuce.
- Starting at one end, roll each tortilla tightly.
- To help seal the tortilla, spread a small amount of hummus on the edge before completing the roll to help it stick.
- Cut into pieces or enjoy as a wrap!