Developmental Pediatrics & Rehabilitation
Developmental Pediatrics & Rehabilitation is part of McMaster Children’s Hospital, located at Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre. We provide outpatient services to children with developmental, behavioural, physical, or communication needs and their families.
We are always trying to make services better. Research studies help us get the information we need to do this. Participation in a research study is voluntary and your choice will not affect your child’s care in any way. We will ask you for your written consent before you are included in any research study. One exception is that some information collected from you may be used in government statistics or research. Your name (and other identifying information) will not be given or used in any research study.
Current Research in DPR
Learn more about the current research being conducted by Dr. Alison Niccols, Psychologist and Clinical Director of the Infant-Parent Program.
For further information, please contact the Clinical Evaluator of the Infant-Parent Program by email or phone 905-521-2100 ext. 77094.
Parenting and Community Service Links
At McMaster Children’s Hospital, the care we provide reflects what matters most to our patients and families. Based on what patients and families have told us, we will:
- Get to know you and your family and treat you with dignity and respect
- Work together as a competent team
- Communicate with each other and your family about your child’s care
- Give you prompt feedback on your child’s progress
- Ensure you understand the health concerns about your child
- Partner with you in decisions about your child’s care
- Help you learn skills to take part in your child’s care
- Plan the next steps in your child’s care together
- Respond promptly when you or your family need help
- Include persons who are important to you in your child’s care
- Provide a convenient, accessible, child-friendly, welcoming environment
- Seek and respond to your family’s comments about our care
- Do you have concerns about your child’s development?
- Are you unsure what your child’s developmental support needs are?
- Are you unsure what services to seek or how to access them?
- Would you would benefit from an exploratory discussion about your child’s development, strengths, and support needs?
SmartStart Hubs can help.
Effective April 1, 2022, the Ministry of Children, Community, and Social Services designated Children’s Treatment Centres (CTC) across Ontario and Surrey Place, in Toronto, as SmartStart Hubs.
As the Children’s Treatment Centre for Hamilton, Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre – Developmental Pediatrics & Rehabilitation is designated as a SmartStart Hub.
SmartStart Hubs serve children and youth from birth until the age of 19, or up to age 21 if they are in school and living in Ontario.
The SmartStart Hub will provide seamless connections to local services including:
- A clear point of entry to services and early identification
- A consistent way of delivering strengths-based and child- and family-centred services
- Streamlined connections to assessments and services
- Early access to family-based supports in support of their children at home and in the community
To connect to the SmartStart Hub, contact our Intake Office: 905-521-2100 ext. 77950
For more information about the SmartStart Hub, visit https://www.ontario.ca/page/childrens-rehabilitation-services
We are located across from the Regional Rehabilitation Centre and the Hamilton General Hospital at:
- Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre
325 Wellington Street North
- Phone:905-521-2100 ext 77950
- Monday and Friday
8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
If you need to change an existing appointment, call 905-521-2100 ext. 44446
If you need to book a new appointment please contact your therapist.
Referring a Patient
Referrals to programs in Developmental Pediatrics and Rehabilitation (DPR) can be made by completing the appropriate form below and directing to the DPR Intake office (contact information is on the form).
An intake staff member will gather information from the referral source (which may be the family) and will direct the referral to the appropriate service.
A referral to a Developmental Pediatrician must be made by a Physician.
Referrals to Preschool Communication Services can be made by contacting Early Words at 905-381-2828.
Contact the Intake Office: 905-521-2100 ext. 77950