Children’s Developmental Rehabilitation Program
Are you concerned that your child has difficulty doing activities of daily living, such as moving around, communicating, playing by themselves, playing with other children, toileting, dressing, bathing, or eating?
Children’s Developmental Rehabilitation Program (CDRP) provides services to children and youth from birth to 19 years old who experience functional limitations due to neurological or developmental issues in the Greater Hamilton Area.
Our team offers assessment, treatment, and consultation services as part of family centered care.
At CDRP, we believe that families know their children best. We understand how important the family and community are for children. You will be a part of the team and involved in decisions about your child’s care.
Family-centered care reflects what matters most to our patients and families. We respect children and their families’ rights, unique needs and abilities to make informed decisions.
Care We Provide
CDRP is uniquely connected to inpatient/rehab-based teams. We provide consultation to tertiary programs at McMaster Children’s Hospital (MCH), including spasticity, spina bifida, orthopedic clinics and Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre Motion Lab and MACS.
We provide unique services to clients, including the following:
- balance bike training
- climbing wall, scootering and magic group
- constraint therapy
- feeding programs
- Motion Lab
- Moving on Teen Independence Program
- Occupational Therapy groups (early hands)
- pressure mapping
- Recreational Therapy- learn to skate
- serial casting
- social thinking groups
- speech groups
- Youth Advisory Committee
- 24-hour postural care
You, your child, and their family will work closely with one or more of these clinicians:
- Physiotherapist (PT)
- Occupational Therapist (OT)
- Occupational Therapist Assistant & Physiotherapist Assistant (OTA & PTA)
- Speech-Language Pathologist (S-LP)
- Communication Disorder Assistant (CDA)
- Early Childhood Resource Specialist (ECRS)
- Therapeutic Recreationist (TR)
- Social Worker (SW)
- Developmental Pediatrician
- Clinical Program Assistant
Clients of the CDRP may call the Therapeutic Recreationist to inquire about available recreation opportunities through the centre or in the community. For more information please call 905-521-2100 ext 74482.
- Bike Day: If you are interested in your child trying an adaptive bike please contact your child’s therapist or the CDRP Therapeutic Recreationist at 905-521-2100 ext 74482 for more information.
- Community Living Hamilton’s Cool Teen Summer Activities for Ages 12 – 17 years
- Hamilton Accessible Sports Council (HASC)
- Ontario Wheelchair Sports Association – Intro to Wheelchair Basketball
- Hamilton Paracycling Training Program (free)
Funding Sources for Recreation programs
- Jump Start (Canadian Tire)
- or contact Warren Oda (City of Hamilton) 905-546-2424 ext. 1395
- City of Hamilton Recreation Fee Assistance Program: Acts as a broker for families who require assistance to financially access recreation programs in the community – Up to $100 (sports, music, art or dance). Contact Pat Mitchell: 905-546-2424 ext 4569
- Recreational Choices Program through Easter Seals: Easter Seals will pay up to $250 per child registered to attend a recreational summer program. Application must be received by July 1st each year. Application available on the Easter Seals website under downloads.
Funding Sources for Camps
- Many of the available camps offer financial assistance if required. Other options include: Using your Special Services at Home Dollars to pay for camp or to pay for a 1-1 if the camp does not supply it.
- Easter Seals (if your child is registered). Visit www.easterseals.org for more information. (Some restrictions do apply)