Children’s Exercise and Nutrition Centre
The Children’s Exercise and Nutrition Centre (CENC) provides consultation, education, medical care, and support for physical activity, nutrition, and lifestyle changes to promote healthy behaviours for our patients and their families and caregivers. Our philosophy is family-centered care.
Care We Provide
The Children’s Exercise and Nutrition Centre offers several programs.
The Metabolism, Obesity & Health in Youth program includes two clinical services:
- The assessment and care of children and adolescents with genetic disorders of cholesterol and lipid metabolism.
- Assessment and care of children and adolescents with overweight or obesity.
The Pediatric Lipid Clinic sees clients with disorders in lipid metabolism (abnormal cholesterol levels), many of whom have family histories of cholesterol disorders and premature coronary artery disease.
- The primary method of treatment for children with lipid disorders includes diet and exercise and may include lipid-lowering medications in some children.
- The Lipid Clinic includes a transition clinic to help adolescents continue their care in an adult setting.
The Growing Health Weight Management Program provides clinical services for children, youth, and families who are overweight or obese. Services include assistance with the development of a healthy lifestyle and the evaluation and management of obesity-related health problems including prediabetes, metabolic syndrome, polycystic ovarian disease, dyslipidemias etc.
The Next Step Clinic provides clinical services for children, youth, and families who have graduated from the Growing Healthy Weight Management Program, and require ongoing monitoring or management of their cardiometabolic health.
The Exercise Medicine Clinic uses exercise testing and physical activity counselling to enhance the care of children with chronic health conditions.
What to Bring
- Your child’s Health Card. The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care requires us to validate your health card at every clinic visit.
- Any relevant test results (e.g. x-rays) or documentation available from other institutions.
- Any notes or questions that you may have.
- List of allergies and dosages of current medications.
When you arrive, please check-in at the reception desk. The Business Clerk will register you in the electronic system so that your team will know that you have arrived.
Note: If your child is ill with any antibiotic resistant organism, MRSA, a communicable disease (such as chicken pox), or respiratory infection, please notify the staff at the reception desk upon arriving at the clinic as the child will be directed to a location other than the main waiting room.
To make a referral please contact the Clinic Scheduling Coordinator at (905) 521-7967 or fax the pertinent information to (905) 385-5033.
In general, children with any exercise and nutrition-related disorder, disease or complaint may be referred to us. Referrals are accepted from family physicians, pediatricians and other health-care professionals.
Urgent Referrals: The clinics are not for emergencies. If your child needs to be seen on an urgent basis, please contact your family doctor or go to your local emergency department.