Clinics and Services
The Centre for Healthy Aging and its services focus on the healthcare needs of seniors who come to Hamilton Health Sciences for treatment of diseases and disabilities related to aging. We offer a shared-care model with family doctors and other service providers. Our goal is to help our patients continue to live, safely, in their home environment. We offer a range of seniors services through clinics, home visits, and consultation services to long-term care facilities. We are dedicated to delivering evidence-based, family-centred care.
Geriatric Medicine & Home Visiting Services
Our primary clinic location is at Hamilton Health Sciences’ St. Peter’s Hospital site. We also offer a satellite Geriatric Medicine Clinic at McMaster University Medical Centre and West Lincoln Memorial Hospital.
Our team of geriatricians, case managers and nurses work together to provide assessment, case management and follow-up for patients 65+ experiencing any of the following:
- memory concerns
- dementia diagnosis and management
- functional decline and frailty
- falls and balance instability
- mobility changes
- bone loss and fragility
- complex medication review
- multiple emergency room visits
Home visits are available only for housebound patients.
Geriatric Psychiatry Clinics and Home Visiting Services
Our team of geriatric psychiatrists and case managers provide specialized consultation, assessment, treatment and management, primarily through home visits. Eligible patients include those aged 65 and older with moderate to severe stages of dementia/neurocognitive disorders or mental illness who reside in long-term care facilities, lodging and group homes, retirement homes and private homes.
The team’s focus is on patients who:
- risk harming themselves or others
- risk being aggressed by others
- exhibit challenging responsive behaviours not well managed by interpersonal interventions (IPI) and environmental interventions (EI).
- ongoing management of mental illness (depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, etc.)
Clinic appointments are available for patients who are able to safely attend.
Our chiropodists provide assessment and management of complex foot disorders, including:
- high risk diabetic foot care
- wound care and the manufacture of orthotics
- comprehensive gait analysis
- shoe pressure mapping
OTs 2 Go
OTs 2 Go is a travelling seating and mobility service provided by occupational therapists for adults 55+ who are experiencing age-related disorders. Patients are seen in a home or community environment (not available to LTC residents) and receive:
- complete seating and mobility assessments
- mobility device prescriptions, as needed
- funding applications, where appropriate
- coordination of repairs and/or modifications
- training on safe usage of mobility aids
Note: We do not accept referrals for scooter assessments.
OTs2Go provides home visits anywhere within the Hamilton, Niagara, Haldimand and Brant (HNHB) LHIN boundaries.