High School Research Bursary
1. Hamilton Health Sciences will no longer cover accommodations, meal plans or transportation cost for out-of-town students or local students.
2. The 2024 Research Bursary Program will continue as a hybrid model with both in-person and remote placement arrangements.
The High School Research Bursary is designed for senior high school students interested in pursuing, or accepted into, university or college level post-secondary studies in Health or Life Sciences. Through a 7-week summer internship, youth become part of a research team and have the opportunity to conduct basic or clinical research activities within one of Hamilton’s internationally renowned research programs at Hamilton Health Sciences and McMaster University.
Upon completion of their internship, students have a better understanding of the research environment and education requirements, gain valuable research skills and techniques, and establish networking relationships they will carry forward throughout their academic studies.
Hamilton Health Sciences Bursary Program is a province-wide program. Notifications are sent to all school boards across Ontario encouraging participation from their respective high schools. Work placements are in Hamilton, from July 2 through to August 16, 2024. Students will work regular workday hours Monday through Friday (excluding statutory holidays) between 8-9am to 4-5pm.
View past participants.
Students are required to submit an application along with a 1,000-word essay, resume, academic transcript and a letter of nomination from either the science department head or science teacher. Additionally, grade 12 students must include an acceptance letter from a recognized university or college for September 2024. Student applications must be emailed to email@example.com by the deadline. For complete details on how to prepare and submit an application, please reference the Guidelines and Bursary Application Form.
Student placements can be in any one of the following:
Hamilton Health Sciences
- Population Health Research Institute (PHRI)
- Thrombosis and Atherosclerosis Research Institute (TaARI)
- Escarpment Cancer Research Institute (ECRI)
- Offord Centre for Child Studies
- Geriatric Education and Research
- In Aging Sciences Centre (GERAS)
- Clinical Research Clinical Laboratory (BioBank)
- Farncombe Digestive Health Research Institute
- McMaster Immunology Research Centre
- Institute for Infectious Diseases Research
- Transfusion Research Program
For more information or guidance with preparing and submitting a student or mentor application, please contact Donna Catherwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a healthcare professional interested in mentoring a student and providing a work placement, please contact Donna Catherwood at email@example.com.
Since its inception in 2004, the bursary program has grown thanks in part to the interest from our corporate partners and signatures sponsors, currently NFP Canada Company along with Aviva Traders and Economical Select. Collectively, they have contributed $246,000 toward this program, funding 222 students to date. We look forward to another successful year in 2024.
High School Research Bursary is hosted in partnership with McMaster University Health Sciences.
Thanks to our sponsors