High School Research Bursary
1. The 2023 Research Bursary Program will be a hybrid model with both in-person and remote placement arrangements.
2. Offering the Research Bursary Program will comply with current federal, provincial, and public health advisories coupled with Hamilton Health Sciences, St. Joseph Healthcare Hamilton, and McMaster University institutional directives pertaining to the COVID pandemic around maintaining social distancing, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) policies and procedures and mandatory full vaccination. As a result of ongoing developments, the program is subject to changes to ensure the safety of students, staff and our community. This may result in the cancellation of the program and/or a scaled back scope of the program.
The High School Research Bursary is designed for senior high school students interested in pursuing, or accepted into, university or college level post-secondary studies in Health or Life Sciences. Through a 7-week summer internship, youth become part of a research team and have the opportunity to conduct basic or clinical research activities within one of Hamilton’s internationally renowned research programs at Hamilton Health Sciences, McMaster University and St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton.
Upon completion of their internship, students have a better understanding of the research environment and education requirements, gain valuable research skills and techniques, and establish networking relationships they will carry forward throughout their academic studies.
Hamilton Health Sciences Bursary Program is a province-wide program. Notifications are sent to all school boards across Ontario encouraging participation from their respective high schools. Work placements are in Hamilton, from July 4 through to August 18, 2023. Students will work regular workday hours Monday through Friday (excluding statutory holidays) between 8-9am to 4-5pm. Public transportation within the Hamilton area will be provided or parking at one of HHS facilities are covered. Note: Transportation to Hamilton is not covered. Accommodations and partial meal plans are provided for eligible out-of-town students residing outside of the following areas:
- Dundas/Hamilton/Stoney Creek
View past participants.
Students are required to submit an application along with a 1,000-word essay, resume, academic transcript and a joint letter of nomination from the science department head and a science teacher. Additionally, grade 12 students must include an acceptance letter from a recognized university or college for September 2022. Student and mentor applications must be emailed to email@example.com by the deadline. For complete details on how to prepare and submit an application, please reference the Application Form.
Student placements can be in any one of the following:
Hamilton Health Sciences
- Population Health Research Institute (PHRI)
- Thrombosis and Atherosclerosis Research Institute (TaARI)
- Escarpment Cancer Research Institute (ECRI)
- Offord Centre for Child Studies
- Geriatric Education and Research
- In Aging Sciences Centre (GERAS)
- Clinical Research Clinical Laboratory (BioBank)
- Farncombe Digestive Health Research Institute
- McMaster Immunology Research Centre
- Institute for Infectious Diseases Research
- Transfusion Research Program
St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton
- Kidney and Urinary Research
- Mental Health and Addictions Research
- Respiratory Medicine and Thoracic Surgery
For more information or guidance with preparing and submitting a student or mentor application, please contact Donna Catherwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a healthcare professional interested in mentoring a student and providing a work placement, please contact Donna Catherwood at email@example.com.
Since its inception in 2004, the bursary program has grown thanks in part to the interest from our corporate partners and signatures sponsors, currently NFP Canada Company along with Aviva Traders and Economical Select. Collectively, they have contributed $236,000 toward this program, funding 207 students to date. We look forward to another successful year in 2023!
High School Research Bursary is hosted in partnership with McMaster University Health Sciences and St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton.
Thanks to our sponsors