The following is a brief timeline of Hamilton Health Sciences’ long and distinguished healthcare history.
A Family of Hospitals
- 1996 – Hamilton General, Henderson General, McMaster University Medical Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital and Chedoke Hospital merged to form Hamilton Health Sciences; this union formed one of the largest teaching hospitals in Ontario, operating across four sites with approximately 8,000 employees and 1,000 physicians
- 2003 – Juravinski Cancer Centre joins Hamilton Health Sciences
- 2008 – St. Peter’s Hospital joins Hamilton Health Sciences
- 2010 – Henderson General Hospital is renamed Juravinski Hospital
- 2014 – West Lincoln Memorial Hospital officially joins Hamilton Health Sciences
Hamilton General Hospital
- 1848 – Hamilton General Hospital opened in a little house on the corner of Guise and John streets
- 1853 – The hospital relocated to an old hotel with a 70-bed capacity overlooking Burlington Bay
- 1882 – The General moved to its current site at the corner of Victoria Avenue and Barton Street where it continues to expand and grow to meet the needs of patients
- 2010 – The General is the region’s sole provider of specialized cardiovascular and neurosciences care as well as the trauma centre for Central South Ontario
Juravinski Cancer Centre
- 1984 – The cancer clinic, located at the Henderson General Hospital, became known as the Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre
- 1992 – The Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre opened in its new building, located beside the Henderson General Hospital
- 2003 – The Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre was renamed the Juravinski Cancer Centre
- 1917 — Mount Hamilton Hospital opened on Concession Street to help care for veterans from the First World War
- 1954 – Nora Frances Henderson Hospital opened as a 322-bed maternity hospital on the same site
- 2010 – Henderson General Hospital is redeveloped and named Juravinski Hospital. It is a centre for excellence in orthopedics, oncology and outpatient surgery
McMaster Children's Hospital
- 1988 – The concentration of specialized pediatric services at MUMC was recognized with the designation of the Children’s Hospital
- 2002 – The Children’s Hospital was renamed McMaster Children’s Hospital
McMaster University Medical Centre
- 1972 – McMaster University Medical Centre opened and McMaster University’s medical school and its innovative curriculum were created
- 2010 – MUMC specializes in caring for the region’s high-risk women’s health and gastroenterology patients, and is home to McMaster Children’s Hospital, one of the country’s finest and most highly-regarded pediatric hospitals
St. Peter's Hospital
- 1890 – St. Peter’s Hospital opens
- 2008 – St. Peter’s Hospital joins Hamilton Health Sciences and continues to provide inpatient, outpatient, and community-based programs and services for seniors.
West Lincoln Memorial Hospital
• 1946: West Lincoln Memorial Hospital opens on Park Road with donors funding the hospital’s construction.
• 1949-50: Fire destroys hospital and it is rebuilt in its current location on Main St. West in Grimsby.
• 1969-70: A large extension is added to accommodate the emergency department and the operating room, among other areas. The beginning stages of the hospital’s unique primary care model is established.
• 1994: The WLMH midwife program is established.
2014 – West Lincoln Memorial Hospital officially joins Hamilton Health Sciences.
• 2016: Our Healthy Future plan submitted to HNHB LHIN, which includes a rebuilt WLMH with a 24-hour Emergency Department, obstetrics and day surgery.
• February 2018: LHIN endorses the proposed program and service model for a rebuilt WLMH. HHS submits plan with three design options to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for review.
• October 2018: HHS submits funding request to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to conduct significant facility upgrades in the operating room to meet current patient safety standards.
• November 2018: Ontario Premier Doug Ford visits hospital and commits to rebuilding West Lincoln Memorial Hospital. The Premier also announces a planning grant and a grant for general infrastructure upgrades.
- 1906 – Chedoke Hospital, located on Hamilton’s west mountain, opened as a tuberculosis sanatorium
- 1960 – When tuberculosis treatment changed and patients no longer required years of bed rest, Chedoke became a general hospital
- 2008 – Chedoke is no longer an acute care hospital, however, it continues to provide complex continuing care and child and family services to residents of Hamilton and the region
- 2016 – Services at Chedoke were relocated.