Acute Stroke Inpatient Unit (7 South)
The Acute Stroke Unit (also known as 7 South) is a dedicated stroke unit that cares for people immediately after they have had a stroke.
The General Neurology Inpatient Clinical Teaching unit is also on 7 South.
Care We Provide
- Caring for individuals with stroke in the immediate days after a stroke occurs
- Caring for individuals with new or known neurological disorders who need to be in hospital
- Providing patients access to research opportunities
What to bring: Please bring a current list of your medications each time you come to the hospital as well as toiletries, comfortable clothing and shoes you can walk in.
Private rooms: If you have private or semi-private coverage and/or you would like a private room, please advise us.
Visitors: Family and friends may visit you in the hospital. Visitors may be asked to step out of your room so staff may provide care.
Devices: You may use your cellular phone. Wireless internet (WiFi) is available for a fee.
Outpatient visits to the clinic: Before or after a hospital stay, you may have appointments with your doctor. These can take place in a variety of settings, including your doctor’s office. Contact your doctor’s office directly for date, time and location of appointments.
Patients on the unit: 7 South is part of the Integrated Stroke Program at Hamilton Health Sciences. Depending on your doctor’s judgment, you may spend some time in an Intensive Care Unit or a Step Down Unit as well.
You may come directly to 7 South from the Emergency Department, or you may come here from another hospital to receive expert stroke care.
7 South also includes the neurology inpatient unit.
- Stroke Specialist/Neurologist: most responsible for your care. They may ask other types of specialists to consult as well.
- Doctors in training (also called Residents and Clinical Fellows): training to be Neurologists and who specialize in taking care of stroke patients
- Physician Assistants
- Nurse Practitioners
- Speech and Language Pathologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Social Workers
- Unit Clerks