About the Department
The Department of Medicine at Hamilton Health Sciences is a large, complex department that excels in clinical service, education, and research. Members of the department are making significant contributions in all domains locally, nationally, and on the international stage.
The Department of Medicine consists of 14 divisions:
- General Internal Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Obstetrical Medicine
Visit our McMaster University Department page.
About the Chief – Dr. Barry Lumb
Dr. Barry Lumb is a Professor in the Department of Medicine at McMaster University and completed his BSc in 1975, MD in 1979 and General Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology in 1984, all at McMaster University. He was a full time clinician from 1984 to 2008 with a major clinical interest in IBD, biliary diseases and interventional endoscopy.
Dr. Lumb has been actively involved with health administration and education throughout his career. This has included a variety of administrative and leadership roles in the former Hamilton Civic Hospitals and at Hamilton Health Sciences. He also has served as the Chair of the Royal College Examination Board in Gastroenterology.
Dr. Lumb was appointed as Chief of Medicine at Hamilton Health Sciences in April 2008 and most recently reappointed as Physician-in-Chief in January 2013.
As Physician-in-Chief, Dr. Lumb currently divides his time between the complex administrative and academic issues of the department with a particular interest in patient safety and quality improvement. He is the Regional Endoscopy Lead for Cancer Care Ontario and continues an active clinical practice.
email@example.com, 905-521-2100 ext. 43893
Department Of Medicine Leadership Structure
Department Of Medicine 2017: Academic
- Dr. Akbar Panju, Acting Chair
- Dr. Ameen Patel, Associate Chair, Education
- Dr. Jeff Weitz, Associate Chair, Research
- Dr. Akbar Panju, Associate Chair, Clinical
- Dr. Barry Lumb, Physician–in–Chief, HHS
- Dr. Alistair Ingram, Chief of Medicine, SJHH
- Dr. Lori Whitehead, Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Dr. Jill Rudkowski, Clerkship Coordinator
- Annette Rosati, Department Administrator
- Dr. PJ Devereaux, Cardiology
- Dr. Judah Denburg, Clinical Immunology/Allergy
- Dr. Andy Freitag, Critical Care
- Dr. Herminio Lima, Dermatology
- Dr. Margaret Ackerman, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Hertzel Gerstein, Endocrinology
- Dr. Paul Moayyedi, Gastroenterology
- Dr. Akbar Panju, General Internal Medicine
- Dr. Sharon Marr, Geriatrics
- Dr. Shannon Bates, Hematology
- Dr. Mark Loeb, Infectious Diseases
- Dr. Scott Brimble, Nephrology
- Dr. Wes Oczkowski, Neurology
- Dr. Shanker Nesathurai, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Dr. Martin Kolb, Respirology
- Dr. Alfred Cividino, Rheumatology